This article discusses alcohol and is not intended for persons under the legal drinking age in their country. Please drink responsibly.
This post is intended for my patients who need guidance on how to drink responsibly.
Gin is a drink that dates back centuries, and it was originally used for medicinal purposes. Gin can have any base spirit, and as long as juniper is included, it’s gin. Juniper berries offer a lot of health benefits, but it’s the fact that they can be fermented and made into gin that makes them such a popular choice! Gin is created by distilling the typical grains that contain gluten like barley, rye, and wheat. The distillation process should remove the offending proteins, and people with a gluten sensitivity or those avoiding it should be fine. However, some people who have a gluten sensitivity notice a reaction after drinking gin, as if they ingested gluten. Not every person with a gluten sensitivity reacts to gin, so it’s a case-by-case basis. If you’re one of these people who had a reaction to gin, or if you want to be extra careful, there are gins made without gluten-containing grains that you can enjoy without worry.
I compiled some of the gins that claim to be gluten free, or use something other than “grains” as a neutral spirit.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links – this means, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase.
- *Azzurre is based in a blend of apples, grapes, and sugar cane
- *Barr Hill (honey)
- *Bloom Gin
- *Bluecoat Gin
- *Bluecoat Elderflower Gin. Made by macerating organic elderflowers in the brand’s Original American Dry Gin as the base, it boasts a light floral taste.
- *Cold River Gin (potato distilled)
- *Copper & Kings American Dry Gin –(apples) No neutral spirits are used
- *Deepwells (potato)
- *Dillon’s Unfiltered Gin 22 (grape)
- *Empress 1908 is gluten free and kosher (corn)
- *G-Vine (grape-distilled)
- *Hemp Gin
- *Hendrick’s Gin
- *Heritage Distilling Company Soft Gin (grape)
- *Indoggo (says gluten free on website)
- *Laurios Rose
- *Le gin de Christian Drouin (apples)
- *Liverpool Gin
- *Manchester Gin
- *Monopolowa Dry Gin
- Mountain Hopped Gin is made using Colorado-grown Cascade hops
- *Re-Fined (grape)- they also make a vodka
- *Schramm (potato)- also makes vodka
- *Sindica Bantail Gin · Sindica Midnight Gin · Sindica Skysail Gin (hemp)
- *Spring 44
- *Tanqueray Rangpur
- *Tattersall Gin is made from organic Minnesota corn plus 22 botanicals
- *The Infusionist Passionfruit Gin Liqueur from Aldi
- Ungava Canadian Premium Gin is produced from locally grown corn
- *Waterloo Old Yaupon Gin is a blend of yaupon holly, juniper, Makrut lime, anise, orris root and wildflower honey.
- *Whitley Neal
- *Williams Elegant Gin is made using cider apples. Gluten Free and Kosher.
- *Woody Creek (potato)- they also make a vodka
Made with Neutral Grain Spirit, but designated gluten free: Aviation, The Botanist
Search Shots Box
Click here to shop for availability at Drizly
Click here to shop at Wine.com