One topic that crops up repeatedly is the question of how to maintain a pleasant fragrance “down there”. This can be an embarrassing subject and one that not many women are comfortable talking about. Some of our mothers and grandmothers used to douche, but now that seems to have fallen out of fashion. However good vaginal hygiene is really important both for your health and for your self-confidence.
Q: What are your thoughts on vaginal wash products?
A: Many women want to know if they should in fact be using vaginal wash products to clean their intimate areas and ask what the best vaginal wash is. However I caution women about using some of the perfumed products or vaginal douches loaded with chemicals that you can find in your local drugstore. These products can often cause more problems than they solve and are ultimately ineffective in reducing vaginal odor. In fact using a vagina wash can actually throw off your pH balance, which could make you more susceptible to infections which are usually prevented by the good bacteria which live there. Also the vaginal area is a delicate and sensitive part of the body and so perfumed soaps and washes can further irritate you.
Q: How can I restore healthy vaginal flora?
A: There are many things you will want to do on an ongoing basis to maintain a healthy flora.
- Eat plain yogurt with live active cultures regularly, or use fermented foods like kombucha and sauerkraut to encourage diverse flora.
- Eat a healthy diet that contains very little processed foods and sugar. These foods change the pH of your vagina
- Eat plenty of green vegetables, and a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables to alkalinize the body
- Lower your intake of meat… it can ferment and alter your smell
- If you don’t like yogurt, consider a regular probiotic supplement like this one.
- If you don’t eat 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables, consider a supplement like this one, to help.
- If you diet does include lots of red meat, consider an enzyme to help break it down.
Q: Can you explain how to clean your vagina?
A: The answer is very simple – warm water and a fragrance free soap are really all you need. You should not really need to clean the inside of your vagina as this party of your body is conveniently self-cleaning (which is very handy!) but instead focus on the outside area. It is also very important to keep your perineal area clean too.
I recommend cleaning your vagina every day but if you are on your period you may wish to clean yourself more often than this.
- You can use baby wipes if you find soap irritating. This brand contains Lavender, which comes with its own assortment of soothing benefits.
- You can use a spray. This one contains essential oils and lacks unwanted chemicals.
- You can use a body wash that is formulated for babies… as they are usually don’t contain harsh ingredients.
- If you take baths, add a 2-3 drops of essential oils to a quarter cup of baking soda, and add it to the water.
To acquire some of the chemical free products I mentioned click the link below:
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.